Despite the current restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic, kiteflying is considered a (relatively) safe activity, provided that social distancing is maintained. So on a bright, but chilly Sunday afternoon, several of us decided to go to Mote Park in Maidstone to get some fresh air and fly some kites.. I was slightly surprised to find the car park quite full and a lot more people about than I was expecting. Subsequent government comment seems to suggest that this is not unique, and if it continues, further restrictions may need to be imposed. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Anyway, five of us turned up in the blustery conditions to try to put some colour in the sky. But most kites were being overpowered. The wind was blowing across the lake, so by the time it got to us, it had passed lots of trees, and gathered a considerable amount of turbulence, so conditions were far from ideal. But we did manage to keep some colour in the sky for most of the afternoon, and only experienced two breakages: one a broken spreader, and the other an untied bridle.

We can't predict when we will be able to fly again, but hope to be able to get out again soon.

Mote Park fly-in

Mote Park fly-in

Mote Park fly-in

Mote Park fly-in

Today, I received the following information from BKFA.

BKFA has talked to its insurers about the effects, if any, of the current coronavirus emergency on
our kiteflying insurance policy.

Jerry Swift has produced the attached document and I am sending it round to all member clubs for information.
In essence, it says that kiteflying out of doors is still OK subject the maintenance of a proper distance (2 metres)
between fliers, but indoor activities such as workshops are not OK. All public events should be cancelled but
private and informal events such as fly-ins are permitted subject to the usual precautions and separation.
The document is also available on the website https://www.bkfa.org.uk

You can view the document on the BKFA website by following the link.

At Kent Kite Flyers, we rarely fly that close together, and whilst we may stop for a chat, or lunch, or when assisting colleagues, we will normally maintain a safe distance. So we intend to be very british, and keep flying if at all possible through the crisis. We welcome members of the public coming to fly with us, and will do whatever we can to help anyone in difficulty, but would ask that they respect the safe distance.

Meanwhile, sad to report, most kite events up to the end of May are cancelled. Midland Kite Flyers and White Horse Kite Flyers have taken the decision to cancel all club fly-ins until further notice. To see what is on, and what is cancelled, I suggest you take a look at the Kite Calendar, which is the most up-to-date source of information

 

While the United Kingdom continues to be battered by high winds and torrential rain, we are having to find new ways to entertain ourselves. Fortunately, on Sunday 23rd February, Peter had arranged our 3rd indoor fly at North School, Ashford.

On the surface, it may appear that there is no link between the two, but unfortunately for us, we see events all over the world being cancelled, restrticted, acted out behind closed doors, etc. And kite events are no different.

Obviously there is a serious consideration. We have to do whatever we can to limit or restrict the spread of this deadly variant, and if that means events need to be cancelled or re-arranged then that is the price we must pay for the safety of the many. So it is unfortunate, but here is a list of kite related events that I know of that have been cancelled or re-arranged so far.

  • Doha, Quatar (postponed)
  • Al-Farsi festival, Kuwait (cancelled)
  • Cervia, Italy (postponed)
  • Pasir Guidang, Malaysia (cancelled)
  • Weifang, China (cancelled)
  • RICV Berck, France (cancelled)

At the moment Dieppe, France is still going ahead in September, but the situation is continually changing.

Over the weekend of 8th and 9th February, the weather predictions were pretty dire. Storm Ciara was expected to arrive on Saturday night with winds across the country expected to be above 50 miles per hour and driving rain. So it was no surprise that there were no plans for a club fly-in. However, four of us had signed up for a workshop arranged by White Horse Kite Flyers, to be held in Swindon, creating kites designed by Alicja Szalska from Poland, which was to be held over the weekend.